Snacks on the run!
With the current war on waste, the emphasis on us as parents is ever more paramount to combat wastage in our households. And we have all seen those fancy recipe books for children’s snacks that are so complicated and fiddly that we are exhausted just from reading about the preparation, let alone actually making the meal.
Fancy foods are great for special occasions and days where you have a yearning for getting creative in the kitchen with your little one, but the whole idea of a “snack” is that it should be quick and easy to prepare!
The following list goes back to basics and offers instant nibbles for your hungry nippers:
- Sandwiches, wraps & Rolls – Fill your bread/wrap/roll with cheese, tuna, leftover meat, chicken or any of your favourite fillings plus lettuce, cucumber & grated carrot and then simply cut into your desired shape.
- Stick Snacks – Things like cheese, celery, snow peas, capsicum, carrot, zucchini make great food sticks and are ideal for eating on the run!
- Fabulous Fruit – Banana, apple slices, watermelon balls, orange or mandarin segments along with any other fruit favourites – tip; small pieces seem to last longer.
- Dried fruit. Cut up dried apricots, peaches, pears, and pitted prunes, this is a great alternative to processed sugars.
- Unusual choices: Cooked baby sweetcorn, popcorn, rice cakes, crackers, hard-boiled eggs, and rolled cold meats, make for unique but great snacks.
And that’s it! In just minutes, you can prepare nutritious snacks your child will love. And offering a wide variety of food helps them get the vitamins and minerals they need. So whether you’re heading out on vacation, a road trip, a day out of the house, a playdate, or packing a daycare or kindy lunch, the above healthy snacks will be sure to keep your kiddo full and happy.